Skip to content

Man Suffers Severe Burns in House Fire

By Debbie Gregory

A Macon County man remains in Vanderbilt Hospital this week, after he suffered burns to his hands, face and legs in a house fire on November 13.


According to Lafayette Fire Chief Troy Brawner, they responded to a fully involved structure fire at 2580 Dark Hollow Road at 12:34 a.m. on Tuesday. The occupants of the one story wood frame home were Randall Gass and Tammy Humes, and the owner is Spencer Shrum.

“Apparently a kerosene heater blew up in the livingroom,” said Chief Brawner, “and the couple had to exit the house out a window because the flames had the doorway blocked. Mr. Gass had to drive up the road about a mile to call for help. He suffered severe burns to his hands, along with burns to his face and legs.”

Chief Brawner said that Randall Gass was transported to Vanderbilt Hospital by ground ambulance due to the rain, and Tammy Humes was transported to Macon Community Hospital where she was treated and released.

“There were three Macon County EMS units at the scene,” stated Chief Brawner. “Two units transported the victims, while one unit remained at the fire site.”

Chief Brawner was in charge of the scene, and he says that the structure was a total loss. There were 17 firefighters at the scene and 5 firefighters were on stand by. The fire department was at the fire site for three hours.

 “The Red Cross was contacted to offer assistance to Ms. Humes,” added Chief Brawner.

Those responding to the scene were the Lafayette Fire Department, Macon County Sheriff’s Office and Macon County EMS.

When contacted by telephone on Monday morning, a Vanderbilt Hospital spokesperson stated that Mr. Gass is listed in stable condition.