Macon County Chronicle

Jack Porter Rd. Home Heavily Damaged by Fire

On Saturday morning, November 27th, the Lafayette Fire Department was dispatched to the scene of a structure fire at 630 Jack Porter Road, which heavily damaged the one story brick & frame rental house owned by Bobbie Hauskins, of Lafayette.

According to Chief Keith Scruggs, upon arrival at 8:30 a.m., flames and smoke were coming out of the windows, but the blaze hadn’t broken through the roof. “We quickly brought the fire under control,” said Scruggs, “but unfortunately the home sustained extensive smoke, heat and water damage.”

“We had 16 firefighters at the scene including myself,” the Chief continued, “plus an engine, tanker and sports truck to keep the fire contained. We used over 5500 gallons of water to extinguish the flames and luckily no one was injured. It is still unclear how the fire started.”

Those responding to the scene included the Lafayette Fire Department, Macon County EMS, Macon County Sheriffs Department, and the Macon County Chronicle.

Jennifer Pedigo, who was out of town for the Thanksgiving holidays, was the renter, and although the home was insured, the contents were not.