Macon County Chronicle

Sam Snow Injured in House Fire; Border Collie Pulled to Safety

A late afternoon fire on Sunday, December 26th, at the Oak Knob Road home of 84-year-old Sam Snow, who was transported to Vanderbilt Hospital, completely destroyed the one story vinyl siding structure as Lafayette firefighters battled the 28 degree temperature and cold north winds.

The Lafayette Fire Department was dispatched to the 10/72 residential fire at 3:15 p.m. battling the flames for several hours as the fire continued to smolder, eventually rekindling around 11:20 that night, when the firemen were called back. Captain Billy King, who was one of the first responders, reported that the house was fully involved upon arrival and Mr. Snow was already outside of the home, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation. He was transported by the Macon County EMS to the Bethpage Fire Department, where he was airlifted to the Vanderbilt Burn Unit, with burns to the back of his head.

“We had twenty firemen on the scene, with six on standby,” said King, “and an engine, tanker, and utility truck. We used 6700 gallons of water to extinguish the flames and we think the fire started on the stove in the kitchen, where Mr. Snow believes he suffered his injuries. We were also able to rescue his son’s dog, Trigger, who was under the house”.

“Everyone did an outstanding job,” said Phillip Smith, who was in charge of the scene, “and when we realized there was a dog under the home, the firefighters started scratching and digging until they triumphantly pulled the Border Collie to safety.”

Those responding to the scene of the fire included the Lafayette Fire Department, Macon County Sheriffs Department, Tennessee Highway Patrol, Macon County EMS, Macon County Rescue Squad, and the Macon County Chronicle.

When contacted by telephone on Monday morning, December 27th, Vanderbilt spokesperson, Ashley Culver, stated that Mr. Snow is listed in stable condition.