On Friday morning, March 18th, Lafayette firefighters responded to the scene of a barn fire at 814 Spring Hollow Road, just off Galen, which destroyed the 40 x48 structure along with approximately 4,000 square bales of hay, two tractors, a hay roller, baler, and chopper, with an estimated loss of over $100,000.According to Assistant Chief Troy Brawner, who was in charge of the scene, upon arrival around 8:45 a.m., the metal wood frame barn was fully involved and his team battled the flames and intense heat for several hours, remaining at the site until late that afternoon as the fire continued to smolder.
“We had 15 firemen on the scene and we used over 13,500 gallons of water to extinguish the flames and luckily none of the crew was injured,” Brawner noted. “It is still unclear how the fire started.”
Those responding to the scene included the Lafayette Fire Department, Macon County Sheriffs Department, Macon County EMS, and the Macon County Chronicle.
Phillip Turner, of 5736 Galen Road, was the owner of the barn.