Lafayette firefighters were called to a structure fire on Friday afternoon, May 20th, at Goodall’s Marathon, located at 304 Red Boiling Springs Road, just off the public square, here in town. A passer by noticed heavy smoke around the service station and immediately notified authorities.

“Upon arrival we realized the situation was dire,” explained Chief Keith Scruggs, “due to the fact there was a lot of flammable chemicals stored behind the office area where the fire originated, including starting fluid, brake fluid, various types of oils & etc. A small flash fire occurred that blew a window out and completely destroyed the office and everything in it, with the estimated damage in the thousands.”

“My crew got in and promptly extinguished the fire, adverting a potential disaster that could have costs lives. Once again I want to thank Assistant Chief Troy Brawner, who was in charge of the scene, and the rest of my dependable team for a job well done.”

The origin of the fire was a television set that was located in the office, but luckily the daily operation of the business wasn’t interrupted and they were open the next day. The owner of the building is Don Apelton and the occupant is Randall Goodall.

Those responding to the fire included the Lafayette Fire Department, Lafayette Police Department, Macon County EMS, and the Macon County Chronicle.