Macon County firefighters were busy last Wednesday, September 21st, when fire ripped through two structures that destroyed a home on the Gamaliel Road and a recently vacated house on Shrum Cemetery Road near Cross Lanes.According to Red Boiling Springs Assistant Fire Chief Randy Hagan around 12:30 p.m. last Wednesday, RBS firefighters were paged to a 10/72 structure fire at 1420 Gamaliel Road which had reportedly started near a clothes dryer in the utility room and spread into the kitchen area. Due to the lack of man power, they requested assistance from the Willette Department and upon arrival the Erwin Lee home was full of smoke. After the fire was extinguished except for a couple of not spots, Willette left the scene and headed home, but unfortunately the flames quickly rekindled, and a mutual aid call went out to the Lafayette Fire Department, Mt. Vernon and Hermitage Springs Fire Departments eventually putting the fire out around 4:00 p.m.
RBS fireman Brian King was transported to Macon County General Hospital by the EMS for heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation, with two more treated at the scene and released. The 1200-square-foot home was a total loss with an estimated value of $67,500. Chief Keith Scruggs sent one engine and a four-man crew who returned to the fire hall at 4:18 p.m.
Responding to the emergency were the Macon County Sheriffs Department, Macon County EMS, RBS Fire & Rescue, Hermitage Springs Fire Department, Mt. Vernon Fire Dept., Lafayette Fire Department and the Macon County Chronicle.
A 11:30 p.m. blaze at the unoccupied one story wood frame home owned by Mike Barber, at 714 Shrum Cemetery Road in the west side of the county, sent 15 fireman to the location, where they battled the involved structure using over 8700 gallons of water. The former residence had been vacant only two weeks and the suspicious fire is under investigation. Asst. Chief Troy Brawner was in charge of the scene and they returned to the fire hall at 2:32 a.m., with no injuries reported.
First responders included the Macon County EMS, Macon County Sheriffs Dept., Lafayette Fire Department, Tri County Electric and the Macon County Chronicle.