On Friday afternoon, October 23, the Lafayette Fire Department was alerted that a mobile home had exploded and was on fire at 718 Brattontown Circle, in Lafayette.
Lafayette Fire Chief Keith Scruggs told the Macon County Chronicle on Monday morning that at approximately 4:09 p.m. Friday afternoon he received a call that there was an explosion and structure fire on Brattontown Circle and upon arrival he found a mobile home that had blown up due to a natural gas explosion and black smoke was billowing into the air.
“There was one patient on the scene, Mr. Josh Archer, who was severly burned and he was air-lifted to Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville in critical condition,” said Chief Scruggs.
On Monday afternoon a Vanderbilt spokesperson stated that Mr. Archer is listed in critical, but stable condition.
According to Chief Scruggs it was reported that the explosion had been felt a half a mile away. “Currently this incident is being investigated by the local authorities and proper charges will follow,” said the Chief.
The Lafayette Fire Department utilized two engines and one truck and several firefighters responded to the site with Chief Scruggs in charge of the fire scene.
Those responding to the scene were the Lafayette Fire Department, Macon County EMS, Lafayette Police Department, Macon County Sheriffs Office, and the Tennessee Highway Patrol.