By Debbie Gregory
The Lafayette Fire Department was notified that a house was on fire at 1371 Cross Lanes Road, after a neighbor spotted smoke and called 911 on Tuesday morning, June 27.
According to Captain Don Stevens, the department received the call at 9:20 a.m. and upon arrival smoke was coming out of the eaves of the one story wood frame dwelling. “Shortly after, flames shot through the roof of the home,” said Captain Stevens.
“We had ten men at the scene,” noted Stevens, “and we utilized Engine #2, Tanker #22, Tanker #29, and Truck #5. There was alot of heat throughout the residence, which belongs to Dustin Bransford, and the origin of the fire was the clothes dryer in the utility room.”
The Westmoreland Fire Department was called for mutual aid and they sent an engine, tanker and man power.
“Unfortunately, there was extremely heavy damage to the structure,” said Stevens, “and we were at the scene for over two hours.”
The Lafayette Fire Department would like to thank the Macon County Sheriffs Office and the ambulance personnel for their help at the scene, and also the Westmoreland Fire Department for responding to the mutual aid call.
Firefighter Phillip Smith was in charge of the scene.
Those reporting to the fire site were the Lafayette Fire Department, Westmoreland Fire Department, Macon County Sheriffs Office, Macon County EMS, and the Macon County Chronicle.